The mission of the Huntington Beach Educational Foundation (HBEF) is to promote excellence in student behaviors, attitudes, and achievements. We wish to recognize students who exemplify the attributes of a scholar. We believe students deserve this recognition in support of the attitudes and behaviors which will ultimately lead them to both academic and personal success. The HBEF Scholar Squad was created to provide an opportunity to both recognize and reward these special students each year. We invite teachers to select one student from your class whom you feel best represents the following suggested attributes. All selected students will be honored.
Criteria for Selection
Suggested Attributes (not all may apply):
Academic Humility: Recognizes their need to continue learning.
Curiosity: Seeks to learn new information through a multitude of resources, ask appropriate questions, and initiate independent research to obtain knowledge.
Multiple Perspectives: Appreciates the creativity of others and works to see things from another perspective.
Careful Consideration: Allows thoughts to develop, looks beyond the obvious, and thinks with depth and complexity.
Vision/Goals: Sets personal and academic goals to promote growth.
Academic Responsibility: Comes to school prepared, exercises integrity in completing original work, and accepts responsibility for learning.
Collaboration: Works with others (and in teams) to further their knowledge, respects the ideas of others, and learns to solve problems together.
School Service: Recognizes the need to contribute to a clean, healthy, and welcoming environment.
Citizenship: Demonstrates integrity, responsibility, and respect for the school environment, their peers, school staff, and themselves.
Procedure for Selection:
- Select ONE student from your class (or one from each CORE class).
- Submissions must be accompanied by this completed HBEF Scholar Squad Selection Form.
- Submissions must be completed online no later than May 18, 2015.
- Honorees will be invited to attend the Excellence in Education Awards Reception on June 5th at the Waterfront Hilton Hotel where they will be recognized by the HBEF Board, HBCSD Board Members, Administrators, and teachers. Each child will receive a medal and certificate commemorating their selection for this award.
- The submission period for Scholar Squad nominations is now closed.